
M


Each year since moving to middle TN we have had a garden. Each year it continues to get bigger and bigger. And each time it gets bigger and bigger, by August we are hating the garden (or should I say the weeds!) and wishing it would quit demanding our time. Then each following March, we can't wait to plan what we are going to plant and begin tilling and anticipating.
This year was a bit different. The task of building the lake house has been all-consuming to My Man, Grandma and Granddaddy. They are usually the ones who get the ball rolling on the tilling, purchasing seeds and plants and planting. I am usually in the house with a newborn. This year I planted most of the garden the week before the big floods came. What was left of the garden after the floods were huge ravines in our plot, much of our soil washed away and many rocks on the surface. As for our plants and seeds? Well there wasn't much to speak of.
Back to square one. This week Grandma, Granddaddy, Little Man and I took to replanting the garden. We have never planted this late and are hoping that the harvest will be good this year. It's smaller and more manageable in my opinion. My pantry is still filled with canned green beans and tomatoes from last year and even corn in the freezer.
Every year that we say we will have a year off of the garden, the thought of juicy, ripe red tomatoes, cucumbers you can eat right off the vine and sweet, luscious sugar snap peas overrides all feelings of heat, bugs, exhaustion, weeds and back-breaking picking. Go figure! I can taste that corn right now!
1 comment:
Sorry about the replanting - hope it's fruitful for you!! :-)
Post a Comment