Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flood Day

I spent half of my childhood outside of New Orleans. I never knew what a snow day was, but I sure knew what a flood day was. It was when we got out of school, when canoes floated down our neighborhood street, when folks put sandbags next to their doors so water wouldn't come into their houses when cars tried to make it down the street. It was when we stayed in the house and watched kids play in the streets in the water (Mom never let us because the water was usually a back flow of the sewage system. Now that we are mothers, we understand!) I never thought that we would have a flood day here in middle TN, but after the rains from the last 2 days, we do.

We are thankful to be in our dry house high up on the hill. The lower part of our street is flooded but we are safe. We have a few leaks but towels and empty laundry baskets seem to be doing the trick for now.

I am thankful for Noah's Ark Playmobil from the Sunday Bag that has kept the Fish Sticks very entertained on this Lord's Day.

I am thankful for raincoats from the Singapore Zoo that I never thought I would use again, but I kept for memories sake. (This photo is for my SIL and BIL as we bought these with them during a torrential downpour at the Singapore Zoo. Everyone asked us if we were firefighters because the Singaporean fire squads wear yellow.)

I am also thankful for friends loaning us their Pollyanna DVD (see the tv in the background) for us to watch during the rain.
I am thankful for homemade Chai to share with my children as we played Clue and Mousetrap.
I'm not thankful for this waterfall that ran from our neighbors hill down into our pond, but it did make for a memorable photo.
I am thankful that although our pond overflowed, it has not completely washed away our levee.
I am thankful that we got a heads up from our neighbor with sheriff contacts that our water is about to be shut off. That gave me time to fill up bathtubs and water jugs, take showers, wash clothes and run the dishwasher.

And this is a photo that my neighbor took of the "downtown" our little community just a couple of miles from us. Last of all, I am thankful that when I ran errands with my 6 Fish Sticks on Saturday that I hit only 1 flooded street and was able to get home just 2 hours before our community flooded and that My Man, our friend and my FIL made it home by finding alternate routes late Saturday night.

2 comments:

Shanna Bauman said...

Cassie, sooo glad you guys are okay. I thought of you guys and all your land. That picture of downtown is just crazy. We are over in Antioch and have gotten a ton too. We are safe like you - praise the LORD! Glad you all had fun on Sunday despite the storm.

Katie said...

I like your post - glad you got some good pictures of inside & out. Can't believe your pond and I'm just amazed by the picture of LF!!!! Glad it wasn't more serious than that for you guys!