Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Big ONE!

It is so hard for me to believe that a year has passed since my little Six was born into our family. On January 25, our little 16 pound, bald peanut, Liddy Leigh, celebrated her first birthday. Due to all the hoopla of the previous week in our house, we decided to keep things low key. No petting zoo. No party of 50 guests. No huge meal. She didn't even wear her cute tutu. Just a simple cake with family. Both sets of grands joined us and so did my little sis and her daughter in town from the west coast. It was just perfect.
The four Fish girls
In our house, it's hard for all the Fish Sticks to hold back and allow one to open gifts on their special day. Let's just say that there's always lots of helpers readily available.


I found this Little People toy set in Ruth and Leah's room when I tucked them in that very night. They had it all set up. I suppose they figured since Lydia hasn't mastered the "MINE!" stage, then her new toys were up for grabs.
With all 6 of the Fish Sticks I have stuck to the rule that they are not to have any form of sugar before their first birthday. Many skeptics told me 10 years ago that I would never keep that rule with all of my kiddos, but I actually have. I made that rule for 2 reasons. One, I want them to develop good eating habits of wholesome, unaltered foods before age one. Second I think it's so much more fun to watch them eat their first sweets on their first birthday. (I also had the rule that they wouldn't chew gum until they were 5, but somehow that rule has shortened a year with every child and now my 2 year old chews gum. Oops!)

Since most of us are just icing lovers and not actually cake lovers, I took the liberties to make her an Eclair Cake instead. Cool Whip mixed with vanilla pudding, layered with graham crackers and a chocolate icing top - there's not much better than that.
First she just spied it.

Then she posed for the photo shoot - just like her Mama trained her!

Then when I told her it was hot, she tried to blow her candle out after trying to grab it. If you were to enlarge this photo, you would clearly see the drool suspended in mid air that eventually founds its way onto the cake. Hmm - that was her piece.

Now since I wasn't traditional with cake and icing, I hadn't thought about whether or not I would let her eat pudding with her hands. It was just too cute not to let her indulge.

Finally the cake got to the plate, but she got pretty possessive with it and grabbed it out of my hands to eat herself.

I don't think many of the Fish Sticks ever finished their cakes, with it being so sweet to their newly engaged sweet taste buds, but Lydia didn't have any problem cleaning her plate. She hummed as she went along. Her morning-after diaper was proof of her indulgences. YIKES.


All gone! (One of the 2 signs she knows and uses.) Time for bath.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Liddy Leigh. You bring joy to our home that is indescribable. We love you dearly and are so blessed to have you as a Fish Stick! We pray that you will grow up to love, serve and adore Jesus EVERY day of your life.

6 comments:

Baseeret said...

how sweet! we are still trying to figure out if we should have a party or not for Lindsay. i love her little outfit with her name on it!

SevenSwansaswimming said...

Wow, I can't believe she is a year already! She is so precious! Happy birthday Lydia :)

Greg and Allison then came Four said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Lydia! Can't believe it's been a year. She is a lucky girl to have all of those brothers and sisters to love on her!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! Happy b-day Lydia!

Nanette R. said...

The other day at work, I saw her birthday on a list of GCC babies born in 2009 and knew I'd be seeing a Lydia birthday post soon! You did not disappoint! :-)

Hampers said...

Nice blog with nice picture of cutie. The family collage looks wonderful. Keep up the good work.