Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pantry Living

Remember the Fish House was going to live out of our pantry for the month of January? Well we did it. In the midst of a month of many birthdays, weekend company, several parties in our home and even cooking meals to 2 families in need. It demanded creativity, and I'm happy to say that all concoctions prepared were eaten. There were only 2 bags from the freezer of mystery meat that I threw away. Our freezers were so bare that I defrosted and organized them. Did you know that under a 2" layer of ice, my freezer has these metal shelves? I didn't know that. There's something freeing about cleaning out and purging, even if it is only in the freezer and pantry. I will say that on January 31st, we had muffins for supper. My man was sick and not eating with the rest of us and I was like Old Mother Hubbard. I couldn't even find a dog bone to serve. The kids were thrilled, but there was something inside of me that felt ashamed of serving my family blueberry muffins for supper. Hopefully they weren't scarred for life. I was just determined not to shop until February.
I think I got this from my mother, but I am a gal who goes through phases. One minute I'm on a health nut kick, the next I'm making bread, next I'm big into decluttering, then I'm clipping coupons. Now some of my phases last forever because they prove to work well for our family. Others go out with the trash to the dump. My newest kick now that my pantries and freezers are cleaned is couponing. I've been "studying" this phenomenon since last April when my big sister and I talked about it on a day trip to Memphis. Over this time, I've read and read and read all the couponing blogs I can find (and believe me, there are hundreds out there). I have saved every coupon I can (see the file below). I have dabbled in couponing but only in the area of pharmacy stores for our toiletries. Now I'm ready to plunge into this frenzy and see if it works for the Fish House.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you use coupons with sale items only and get the maximum amount of savings. If done right, you could feed a family of 4 on a grocery budget of $40 a week. Now that is worth checking into. I did my first try this past week and saved 40%. I know that is good, but most pros save around 75% each week. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Greg and Allison then came Four said...

Let us know how the couponing goes! I do it every week and save about 50%. I have to warn you, it's addicting! :)