The day has been filled with constant tears as everything in our home has reminded us of his presence in our family. His dog food bowl, his bed, his collar, the black hairballs that collect in the corners, his favorite spots to sleep, and more. I know some readers might not have ever had a connection with a pet as a family member, and so you might be reading and not relating to our sorrow or maybe even find it silly. He has been a family member to us for 13 1/2 years and honestly it's been much harder coping with his passing than I ever thought.
I am posting some old photos of Amos, mostly for memories sake for my family. I was looking through old photos that I hadn't permanently scrapbooked and came across these to scan.
Our little family of three soon after we got Amos in January 1997. Goodness sakes - we were such kids ourselves.
We made the decision to take Amos with us, shipped as cargo, half way around the world to Singapore in 2000. We just couldn't imagine living there without him. Although his 1 month quarantine was rough on both him and us, we never regretted taking him. He was Caleb's very best friend.
I had always said (pre-dog) that I didn't want any indoor pets and IF we had to have one, it would NOT get on the furniture. Somehow Tim and I ended up sleeping in a double bed with a 70 lb. dog with us. See, even the most calloused hearts can soften.
He was a great napping buddy.
I had always said (pre-dog) that I didn't want any indoor pets and IF we had to have one, it would NOT get on the furniture. Somehow Tim and I ended up sleeping in a double bed with a 70 lb. dog with us. See, even the most calloused hearts can soften. He was a great napping buddy.
Then soon thereafter came another little bambino. Now this photo shoot was a bit tricky. It was in the days before digital cameras and I think I used up an entire 24 exposure just trying to get a decent photo of Santa's elf and reindeer. See? I told you Amos was a good boy. Who else would endure this kind of torture?
Caleb told me that he took an identical photo last month of Josiah with Amos just like this one. Maybe I'll have to post it later.
This photo is from the very night that we got Amos. We surprised our parents and showed up at their houses with our newest addition. He shook and cried almost the entire time. I think he only stayed this small for one week.
In Singapore, he was invited with Tim to show Mrs. Claudia's classroom (2nd grade, I believe) all of his tricks that he could do. Large dogs were a rare thing in Singapore and I think it was treat for the kids to see him. I used to walk the city streets with Amos on a leash, holding baby AB with Caleb toddling next to me. Grown men would see me from a distance and in fear, cross the street to walk on the opposite side from me because they were scared to death of our large, black teddy bear. Many times grown adults would decide to wait for another elevator when they saw Amos in the elevator of our apartment. It used to crack us up.
Amos was the best dog a family could have ever wanted - even if he did go for a swim in our pond on days that I cleaned the house. What I wouldn't do now to wipe his muddy paws and dry his fish-smelling coat again. He will be sorely missed. The kids asked me today if Amos was in heaven with Jesus. I told them that Granddaddy sent me an email this morning and reminded me of the verse about in heaven the lion will be with the lamb. He said that if Jesus has lions lying with lambs in heaven, he likes to think that our pets will be there too. I like that response and will cling to it, no matter how theologically incorrectl it may be.


8 comments:
CAssie- so sorry and praying for you guys. I definitely understand the mourning of a family pet!
So very sorry. I told the kids this morning. We are thinking of you guys.
I am so sorry for y'all!! I know you hearts must ache so much. We are praying for y'all!!
How sweet. I liked this post and the one about AB being a jewel.
This blog reader relates and remembers all the many creatures we adopted, spent hundreds of dollars on nursing, and the pets we also purchased. We had all kinds, purebreds and mutts, strays and special bred and trained ones. We loved them all equally.
I have shed many a tear along side the kids and my husband over each time we lost one. We lost our dear Puddin' (Collie) when someone came onto our place in the country while we were not home and shot her. That was the final straw for me and I couldn't bear anymore animals for a while. They were almost like losing a human. I couldn't watch my kids' heart break even one more time.
My kids are almost all grown now but I still remember and still relate. I am sorry you had to lose your precious companion.
Melanie Keffer
Oh Cassie . . . I'm sitting at my office balling. I so love animals (dogs) and I know Amos will be sorely missed by all of you. I have enjoyed reading your blog so many times when you incorporate Amos in the story. I feel like I knew him. Praying for you all in your time of true loss.
Love, Angie
I am so sorry to hear about Amos. I know your family misses him greatly. Pets do become members of the family. I still feel bad about how Noel was treated after having kids! I'm sure Amos had a great life and got lots of love and attention :) Love you girl!
We will all miss our family member Amos. Our favorite memories, hands down, was his chasing the flashlight - the funnies thing we've ever seen!!! :-) Love that booy!!
I loved looking at these photos Cassie. So so sweet. I really believe that God truly decks out our prepared rooms in Heaven. And if our animal companions here on earth provided so much joy, why wouldn't He include them in our joy in Heaven? I think about my prepared room from time to time, I open it up and there are my little ferrets. So neat to think about. The pain we experience here on earth will not compare to the joy we will experience in the Lord's dwelling place. Take heart my friend! :)
Post a Comment