Friday, March 26, 2010

A Call for Creativity

What does one laryngitis-stricken mother do when her 10 and 5 year old are arguing at breakfast over who gets to look at the cereal box while they eat cereal (never mind the fact that they haven't had cereal in months due to the ban on cereal that I placed on our house)?

The answer? Reward the 2 Fish Sticks with a fashionable cereal box necklace (since clearly they love the box so much) to wear each for 1 hour. Argument ended.

4 comments:

rachel said...

what a mean mom you are!! ha! :)

Kelley said...

That's one idea I'm gonna be borrowing! Ha ha

Melanie Keffer said...

I love it! Been there, done that.

Without giving details, my most recent Creative Mothering involved no cover at bedtime. Before you think I'm the cruelest mother of all time . . . First, you would have to know the "crime," second, there is nice warm central heat everywhere, third, it was up to this big 14 year old boy to use his creative juices to think of ways to keep warm without a blanket for one week . . . Which he did.

I don't do things like that very often but, as I am sure you would agree, there are times when enough is absolutely enough. :)

I told him if this didn't get my meaning across, his next move will be outdoors. (Which might seem cool punishment at first, but it gets old quick when you can't get comfortable on hard ground, in wooden forts, etc.)

Melanie Keffer

P. S. I got great results from my CM, as I would guess you did.

Katie said...

Laughed out loud at this one. You're so smart.