Today I have laryngitis. It's not painful, I just can't talk. I felt it coming along a few days ago and last night at the Huckabee event I got my "deep and sexy" voice (as I told My Man). I also told him to enjoy the small time that I would be losing my voice because he'd get a break from all my gabbing.
This morning all I can eek out is a whisper. So how does one mother 6 small children and homeschool without a voice? Good question. It's 2:00 and not much schooling has been done. I have had to bang pots and pans together just to get them to know I have something to say. Whispering doesn't seem to catch their attention. Ruth keeps asking why I am whispering so much and if she's supposed to be quiet too. I keep telling her I lost my voice but that didn't make much sense to her 5 year old mind. Finally I remembered a Brady Bunch episode and the light came on to Ruth.
"Hey Ruth, remember that Brady Bunch when Mrs. Brady lost her voice and couldn't sing in the Christmas program and Cindy told Santa Claus that all she wanted for Christmas was to get her Mommy's voice back?
"YES!"
"Well that same sickness has happened to Mommy."
Now all is clear. As for Josiah, he just keeps looking at me confused and whispering back to me. Even the cashier at the grocery store whispered back to me this morning. I guess it's a natural reaction like speaking loudly and slowly in English to a person who speaks Spanish only. Hopefully this Momma won't be mute tomorrow or I might need to find a Santa Claus in March.
No comments:
Post a Comment